As a last hurrah of sight-seeing I went to Red Square again today. What a hassle to even get in during Lenin-viewing hours. Waiting and more waiting and then metal detectors. They don't take the metal detectors lightly. The guns come out if they suspect you're sneaking a dental filling. After much hassle and a little arguing with a lady who told me I had to wait twice (which I did NOT), I finally turned over my camera and viewed Lenin's body in the mausoleum. Guards are posted every ten feet to be sure you don't accidentally want to stop and actually take a look. I can say I saw him now, I guess. Along the way I also viewed Stalin's burial place, which is among many of the Soviet leaders'. I also videotaped a portion of my visit to the grocery store to show you what it's like. In English, the store is called Azbuka Vkusa, and it's a little posh - kinda like if Panera, Starbucks, and your favorite aisle in Meijer teamed up. For one aisle it has a lot: fresh bread, meats, dairy, produce, a separate wine section, a small coffee shop, a bakery, and toiletries. At the beginning I introduce you to the best buy in the store: smoked cheese. I liked that an American Christmas song was playing ("Chestnuts Roasting"). When I got to the end of the store the bakery woman got ticked that I would dare videotape her cakes. Heaven forbid it gets out that Moscow has cake and that I knew about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment