I trekked to Target today in hopes of finding that personal little haven we all have with certain stores. I first picked up one of those "Learn Spanish" CD sets on a whim and continued to the electronics. I always like to find new albums on sale or nice headphones that seem cheap.
What I soon found was that music was no longer a sound; it was tangible. It was boobs and glitter and sunglasses; mannequins with names and people who used to look like us; it was twenty black guys in a row with their heads cocked at identical angles - like terriers with a sudden piqued interest in a familiar word - accompanied by "price cut" displayed just below their misspelled, gold-embossed names.
I gave up on finding a steal and decided to check out the headphones. Most disappointing was the title given to the earbuds on the top row: "FASHION EARBUDS." And in 8-sized font just below: "PERFECT FOR MUSIC LISTENING." It would have seemed they were perfect for looking good and their description was simply a disclaimer.
Doesn't music earn merit for itself anymore? Why does it need to appeal to your groin or match your purse to be marketable? Are we so bankrupt of appeal that we must utilize tricks for people to buy us? That leads to a more dangerous question: If we do that with our music and our money, do we do that with our relationships? Do we compromise our selves to attract fans - err - friends? Simply... can we distinguish what's real anymore?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment