Monday, October 26, 2009

Neither ice, nor skate, nor metro...

On Saturday I attended an international ice skating competition with a few teacher friends, and not only was the competition interesting, but so was the Metro. I've been experiencing the Metro every weekend, but I finally got the nerve to bring my camera with me this time. The Metro is fascinating, ornate, complex, and intimidating. Each of the 177 stations is decorated differently, and I happen to live near one of the finest. Interestingly, a man asked the group I was in if we were tourists, and American at that. However, he never turned to me. I have been making the intentional point of wearing contacts and wearing my black shoes in public, as I believe anything else would set me apart. He asked one of the teachers "Where are your glasses?" as if to imply all Americans wear glasses. I felt it a personal triumph that I went unnoticed during this episode in the Metro and during grocery shopping this weekend. My theory about glasses was correct, and it was confirmed by a Moscovite. From now on, I'm wearing contacts in public places; it feels much less intimidating, and I get fewer cold stares. Below is a picture from two of the stations, the first being mine. The middle picture was taken across the street from where I am living, overlooking a statue of a soldier and the newer, business section of Moscow in the background. Also included are two pictures from the ice skating competition. At the competition was Plushenko, the 2006 Olympics male gold medalist and several big names.

1 comment: