Today I walked around the top of St. Isaac's colonnade, walked to the Peter the Great statue (you're welcome, Grant), and shopped within the large shopping district, Gostiny Dvor. I actually met some people from Ohio where I took the picture of the bride. After I saw the opera Carmen (where I tried caviar for the first time) this evening I met a mother and daughter from Wisconsin. I have also included a video of my neighbors in the hostel. I thought it was awesome that they were next door. Since you asked, I found out the name of the Russian instrument that I didn't recognize. My roommate says it's called a balalaika, and obviously it is of the larger kind; I'm glad he clarified that. Heaven forbid there be a LARGER balalaika than this one. Sorry that the video is sideways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Bet you don't get much sleep with that balalaika band next door. Awesome video.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that video is awesome. Maybe that's where 80's rockers were inspired for their crazy guitar shapes.
ReplyDeleteAnd the pictures are good, too. Love the statue one!
-G
I'm diggin your blog. Good stuff. I've always wanted to visit up there. I'm so jealous that you're getting to do your student teaching overseas. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I found you through Caleb's blog. He's at my school doing his student teaching. Jia you!
Oh, very cool! Thanks for the add!
ReplyDeleteyour neighbors rock! maybe you can join in their musical festivities!
ReplyDeletealso, please watch this video b/c i feel like you will really appreciate it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnuGkZgaMc&feature=player_embedded